Have you ever felt that your studying habits are simply not working out? Do you often think about improvised ways of performing better in studies and especially in exams? Have you ever wondered about how to study effectively? Students often complain that their studying habits during school days are not proving very effective in Universities and colleges. This is quite obvious as an educational patter in college is different from that of school which simply means that you need to inculcate and exhibit more effective studying skills. This is exactly what Foundation for GLocal Science Initiatives (FGSI) preaches its students about how to study effectively.
The organization, FGSI, aims at fostering increased interest regarding science and technology and also offers a highly rewarding and competitive platform. FGSI promotes students to use this platform and showcase their well-developed projects while setting the path for their academic careers. The organization has developed essential resources that can be utilized by students for developing their science instincts into a successful product or service thereby meeting international standards. FGSI is the first organization that conducted the very first International Science Fair and Exhibition for School Students in India. The organization provides international exposure to all students through participation in various science exhibitions conducted in more than 90 countries. Besides, FGSI has encouraged its students who often asked themselves the question, ‘How to Study Effectively?’ to study smarter and necessarily not harder and this is the key to become an effective student.
Studying for a few hours in a day is supposedly enough in school to score satisfactory grades, but in colleges, no amount of hours is sufficient in the day to studying the syllabus if you do not know how to study effectively and smarter. For all students who wonder how to study effectively, it is important to know that effective study habits are essential for improving one’s ability to better retain all study material. Such habits include students’ approaches to studies with the right attitude, opting for the right environment, reducing distractions, and adopting a more realistic study schedule. This article discusses how to study effectively and by following the discussed techniques, students can easily transform their learning activities with increased efficiency and effectiveness.
How to Study Effectively?
- Better Approach to Studies – Often students tend to consider studying as a compulsory task, and not as a learning opportunity. However, researchers have identified that your approach towards something matters a lot almost as much as what you do. That is why FGSI foremost encourages students to be in their right mindset which would enable students to study smarter. The organization educates on how to study effectively by emphasizing on a better approach.
- Becoming Organized – It is important for students to be become organized and carry a homework planner at all times. This enables students to enter homework, assignments, projects, and other details as assigned and they would never forget about it.
- Proper Place for Study – Many students go wrong in choosing the right place to study and which is not conducive to concentrating. If ‘How to study effectively’ is what you wonder then choosing a proper place with the least possibilities of distractions is one of the key ways.
- Bring all required Study Materials – Unfortunately, sometimes students fail to identify only those materials that are essential for studying. For example, it may seem to them that carrying a laptop would help them take notes so that they can refer back later, but often computers prove to be a powerful distraction for many students. So for how to study effectively, students should ask themselves if they need a computer to take notes, or they can manage with traditional paper and pen. For students who have a habit of studying with music playing in the background, they should limit their interaction with their phone while changing tracks.
- Paying Attention in Class – To practice how to study effectively, students should necessarily concentrate and pay attention to classroom discussions and listen carefully to what teachers teach. FGSI encourages students to practice regular active listening by focusing on topics that are taught in classrooms and taking appropriate notes in students’ own words.
- Ensuring Complete Notes – FGSI encourages students to write clear as well as complete notes during classroom sessions and this enables in the processing of the information that they have learned. The notes are meant for referring and reviewing before examinations. Students should talk to their classmates and the teachers in case they miss any class just to ensure they have complete notes with them.
- Practice Group Study – As an old proverb says ‘Practice makes a man perfect’, so students should be encouraged to practice group study especially before examinations. This provides them with the utmost confidence and also an opportunity to verify as to how they have prepared for exams.
- Clarifying Doubts – At FGSI, Students are encouraged to ask questions whenever they face doubts. Asking questions and clarifying doubts is so necessary to validate knowledge and seek more information.
- Prepare Study Schedule – While preparing a study schedule, students need to take a look at their planner and analyze things that are to be accomplished. They need to prepare a though plan for covering specific topics within a specific timeline. The setting of targets is so very important for practice.
To summarize, we now know the importance of how to study effectively which is one of the key lessons that FGSI provides to all students. FGSI is known for nurturing science & scientific research amongst students and even rewards them for their outstanding projects. Each year, an increased number of Indian students wins accolades at different science fairs where competitions take place across countries. Knowing how to study effectively is nothing but a skill that every student should learn and inculcate in life. Undoubtedly, developing effective skills of studying involves immense time, effort and patience. However, if students follow these simple but important tactics, then they would surely be able to discover their own best ways.